Servings: 2 cups
1 fennel bulb, cleaned and chopped into medium dice
1/2 of a yellow or white onion, roughly chopped
3 garlic cloves, each cut into 4 pieces
1 pint (16 oz) heavy cream or half-and-half (or enough to cover the veggies in a pot)
1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper (to taste)
1. Trim the fennel stalks and discard. Cut the bulb in half from top to bottom. Cut again into quarters and remove any wilted outside layers. Cut each quarter in half again for "medium dice.”
2. In a medium-sized sauce pan, add the fennel bulb, onion, garlic, and heavy cream. (Note: Add enough heavy cream to just cover the veggies.)
3. Over medium heat, bring to a light boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for at least 20 minutes. Stir periodically.
4. Once cooked through, drain through a sieve into a bowl in order to capture the excess heavy cream for later if needed.
5. Put the drained veggies, parmesan cheese, a pinch of cayenne, and a bit of salt and pepper into a Vitamix or high-power blender. Purée completely to attain a whipped-like consistency. (If the mixture seems too dry, add some of the reserved heavy cream.)
6. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper if necessary — purée again.